A Cleaner Office: Top Tips from Peter Walsh – Organization Guru
- Is to realize that mental clutter can be more detrimental than tangible clutter. “Clear mental clutter to become the best you!”
- Take everything off your desk and shelves start creating piles of similar things, this will help you realize what categories of things takes up the most space. Is it your DVD’s, Magazines or accounting materials? Have you identified any duplicated materials or items that can be donated or given back to the communal office supplies?
- The average retrieval time for a piece of paper is ten minutes; 3 percent of all papers are misfiled. One study put the cost to a corporation of recovering a lost file at $120. You can't afford that. Peter thinks the best file systems are to color-code—we recognize visual cues faster than labels.
- Peter will sternly advise against rolltop desks and office armoires. His reasoning: he feels that anything that can be closed up encourages disorganization. It would be best to have desktop accessories instead of drawers. You can’t hide you—so people can file and organize papers while still keeping everything in view.
- Digital file clutter and clean up: Peter Walsh preaches that 70% of businesspeople lose computer data costing $18 billion a year. You can’t put a price on a backup system or external hard drive, depending upon your business size and file size. Make sure to schedule a regular time weekly to back up your files.
- The single most important thing Peter says you can do to be organized is set aside ten minutes at the end of the day to clean your desk and get ready for tomorrow. Start each day with a clean slate to be the most successful you.
Servpro is proud to sponsor Peter Walsh’s event in Calgary on April 20th called the ‘Calgary Spring Clean’ at the Stampede Grounds. It is a day of cleaning, organizing and donating. All attendees are encourages to bring items they no longer have use for and donate them to WINS (Woman in Need Society).
Here is a link to buy tickets you don’t want to miss out. http://www.getreallive.com/peter-walsh-live-in-calgary-april-20th-book-tickets-now/
If you missed the live chat with Peter Walsh – listen to it here: http://www.blogtalkradio.com/getreallive/2013/03/14/getreallive-with-susan-and-scott-1